June 25, 2016

UK people agree to leave EU after referendum, prime minister resigns

UK people agree to leave EU after referendum, prime minister resigns

After voting at a referendum (which a similar request for such leaves hundreds of people dead in Nigeria anyway), United Kingdom citizens have agreed to leave the European Union at a poll where 52% of the population called for leaving EU and 48% voted staying.

England and Wales citizens voted for UK to leave EU while results showed Scotland and Northern Ireland voting for UK to stay.

After the referendum, prime minister David Cameron said on Fridnay 24th June 2016 that he will tender a resignation letter.

His words:

“The country has just taken part in a giant democratic exercise – perhaps the biggest in our history. Over 33 million people – from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar – have all had their say.

“We not only have a parliamentary democracy, but on questions about the arrangements for how we are governed, there are times when it is right to ask the people themselves, and that is what we have done. The British people have voted to leave the European Union and their will must be respected.

“There is no need for a precise timetable today, but in my view we should aim to have a new Prime Minister in place by the start of the Conservative party conference in October.

“Delivering stability will be important and I will continue in post as Prime Minister with my Cabinet for the next 3 months. The Cabinet will meet on Monday.”

Watch a full video of David Cameron’s British Referendum speech on 24th June 2016:  

  Share on Google+
Latest updates
Top